Complacency Interrupted

Attempting to "do" cultural studies...critique, analysis, and commentary. How am I doing Theodor??

03 July 2006

CDC is A-ok, or why my body matters to the government

From our latest sphincter friends at the CDC, the following:

"New federal guidelines ask all females capable of conceiving a baby to treat themselves -- and to be treated by the health care system -- as pre-pregnant, regardless of whether they plan to get pregnant anytime soon.

Among other things, this means all women between first menstrual period and menopause should take folic acid supplements, refrain from smoking, maintain a healthy weight and keep chronic conditions such as asthma and diabetes under control."

And also:

"The recommendations aim to 'increase public awareness of the importance of preconception health' and emphasize the 'importance of managing risk factors prior to pregnancy,' said Samuel Posner, co-author of the guidelines and associate director for science in the division of reproductive health at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), which issued the report.

Other groups involved include the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, the March of Dimes, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, the National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention's Division of Reproductive Health and the National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities."

Hi. My name is Jenny. I'll be your handmaiden, walking-incubator, live-baby-farm, uterus for the day. Would you like to impregnate me now? Oh, wait, excuse me, I have to go take my folic acid supplements and spend an hour in the gym first, to make sure I can carry the baby to full term. Once impregnated, I will not be able to carry another baby for nine months, but I should be able to keep carrying babies for the next 20 to 30 years, at which point I will stop existing in the medical system and the popular culture. Thank you.

Please pass the folic acid and the sperm?


Text taken from "Forever Pregnant" at the Washington Post.

Find the original rant at The Broadsheet at Salon.com

--This blog was originally posted on 17 May 2006 on http://blog.myspace.com/jennyrob--

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home